Selling Discussion Skills teaches a selling process where participants will learn the Planning, Opening, Discovery, Proposal and Closing steps in the selling process. Key differentiating points include: developing strong questioning and listening skills that create a customer-centric dialogue and discover the real buyer needs, incorporating the buyer’s language as part of the sales and negotiation process, and using customer-centric business insight facts that strengthen the selling story.
After you complete the Business Insights Black Belt Level 1 certification (or the Green Belt) program and you witness a dramatic transformation in your ability to analyze data, find the key insights and develop powerful fact-based stories – you may wonder what is next. After all, creating your script for your story is half the battle. It still must be sold in a compelling manner to your customers.
Delta’s Mastery of Selling Skills® changes your behavior in key aspects of the selling process – selling, negotiating (making trades) and your delivery style. Our content parallels other selling programs in many aspects and includes a key difference we believe to be superior: seamless transitions between selling and trading (negotiating).
Our program improves the overall selling process and develops customer-centric discussions that link discovered buyers’ needs to fact-based selling proposals that reduce the need to negotiate. If negotiation is required, we teach not to concede but to make trades. Selling and negotiation skills are not mutually exclusive – both use the same skills – and often a person will seamlessly transition between the two.
This curriculum employs a variety of teaching methods to ingrain long-term change. Our differentiating points include
- focusing on customer-centric selling
- mirroring curriculum to the selling process
- utilize a dialogue-patterning technique called “loading the lips”
- applying tools learned in the Business Insights program like asking Business Management Questions™ (BMQs®) that drill-down to the root cause which leads to strategic discussions and improved results
Participants will understand and demonstrate a range of crucial skills including
- identifying and determining the value of the tradables items
- bundling trades
- avoiding concessions and overcoming obstacles
- recognizing, defending, and preventing buyer tactics
- adapting communication techniques and language to meet specific situations and buyer styles
- Utilize BMQ® questioning techniques
- Develop insight-based listening skills
- Create stakeholder analysis
- Analyze behavior style
- Script dialogue
- Create storyboard
- Manage objections
- Identify and determine value of tradables
- Anticipate buyer tactics
- Refine delivery techniques
- Use fact-based insights to negate the need to negotiate
Applications & Tools
- Scripted examples
- Video examples
- “Load the Lips” scripted templates
- In-class completion of templates
- Business Management Questions™ development around 4Ps
- 15 videoed role-plays
- 6-8 case-study exercises
- Role-play team critique
- Develop learning plan
Mastery of Selling Skills® uses extensive role-playing and coaching to “load the lips” of your team – like actors practicing their lines until they are delivered naturally. This repetition builds “muscle memory” and cements participants’ confidence in the selling process. In other words, it truly changes their behavior.
Most courses are conducted as private client-specific sessions. Periodically a client will allow non-competing guests to join their learning journey.